Otolaryngologist (ENT) and Phoniatrist
- Otolaryngology&Head and Neck Surgery Department of Gülhane Military Medical Academy in 2002
- Otolaryngology Department of University of Washington in Seattle,WA,USA 2007-2008Full professor at Nişantaşı University 2019
- Full professor at Nişantaşı University 2019
Dr. Hakan Birkent is a graduate of Gülhane Military Medical School, Ankara, Turkey. He completed his residency programme at the Otolaryngology&Head and Neck Surgery Department of Gülhane Military Medical Academy in 2002, and started his academic career as an Assistant Professor at the same department in 2005. Dr. Birkent has studied laryngology at the Otolaryngology Department of University of Washington in Seattle,WA,USA between 2007-2008. Having earned the title of Associate Professor in 2010, Dr. Birkent worked as a faculty at the same department until his retirement in 2017. He was promoted to the rank of full professor at Nişantaşı University in 2019 and still gives lessons as at Fenerbahçe University.
Prof. Dr. Hakan Birkent is especially known for his studies on voice disorders, swallowing problems and laryngotracheal stenosis. He has more than 60 scientific studies published in international and national peer-reviewed journals. He also has more than 50 papers presented at international and national scientific meetings and various international awards. He has been author of many book chapters, and book translations in his field. He took part as speaker and trainer in many international and national scientific meetings, conferences, panels, and workshops related to his field.
Memberships & Publications
Voice feminisation glottoplasty, Oral presentation at the British Voice Association 25/Feb/2021
– How I do it: Voice feminisation glottoplasty. Invited talk. British Laryngological Association annual meeting, 24/09/2021
– Gender Affirming Voice Surgery, Invited lecture at the British Voice Association annual meeting – “I am my voice”. 04/09/2022
– Voice Feminisation Surgery, Invited webinar, CSurgery. 11/09/2022
– Modified Wendler’s Glottoplasty, voice and QoL outcomes in 110 transgender women. The Fall Voice Conference. 07/10/2022
Member of Turkish Otolaryngology&Head and Neck Surgery Association
Turkish Otolaryngology&Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Ankara
Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery Association
Turkish Laryngology Association
Professional Voice Society
Voice Speech and Swallowing Disorders Association
Union of the Europian Phoniatricians, and European Laryngological Society.
Board member of the Istanbul Association of Ear Nose and Throat Specialists